Green beans are pretty much my favorite side dish other than potatoes. They've always been a favorite and it seems I never tire of them. I do, however enjoy finding new ways to serve them the keep the boredom from setting in and this is a very interesting combination that's full of delicious flavor! I tend to buy readily trimmed beans, which means they're a little more expensive and perhaps not as good as a fresh batch from the farmer's market that requires stringing, topping & tailing, but it makes them convenient to get on the table after work.
It may seem a bit odd to have something with hazelnuts at a time other than Christmas as they have such a seasonal reputation, but I assure you that this dish is the perfect accompaniment to Summer favorites like BBQ Chicken and wouldn't be unwelcome next to a cold margarita. It's also a great recipe for getting rid of leftover hazelnut supplies after the holidays are over.
250g trimmed, fine green beans (or green beans of your choice)
1 tablespoon fresh, flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Zest of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons regular olive oil
1/4 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
Sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
Additional lime wedges for serving (optional)
1. Steam whole, trimmed beans until they reach the desired tenderness, about 5 to 10 minutes or longer if you prefer super soft beans. When the beans are cooked, remove them from the heat to a strainer and rinse with cold water.
2. Meanwhile, add parsley, rosemary, lime peel, lime juice and garlic to a small bowl and stir to combine until it resembles a pesto.
3. In a large frying pan or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beans and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring or tossing and watching constantly. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
4. Remove the beans from the heat and stir in the lime pesto and hazelnuts until the beans are evenly coated in the nuts.
5. Serve in a warmed bowl or serving dish with lime wedges on the side if desired.