This recipe is super quick and the perfect healthy supper to enjoy on a weeknight when you're short on time, energy and patience. Don't be fooled by the bland color of this dish - it's incredibly tasty! Just a tiny amount of sweet brown sugar mixed with dijon mustard is a lovely complement to salmon. Of course lemon and cannellini beans work well together, but alongside the sweet, mustardy salmon, it's perfection! I thought this would be a bit light, but actually it's rather filling. Serve this alone or alongside some other veggies or salad… A nice bit of bread would work too.
2 skinless salmon fillets (either fresh or frozen that's completely thawed)
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon soft light brown sugar
1 banana shallot, finely diced
1 400g tin of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Knob of butter
Zest & juice of 1 whole lemon
Sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the grill on high heat.
2. Spritz a shallow cast iron casserole or other grill-proof dish with some non-stick cooking spray and add the salmon fillets.
3. Mix together the mustard, brown sugar and about 2 tablespoons of water. Season with sea salt flakes and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Brush this mixture over the salmon and pour over any that's leftover.
4. Grill the salmon for 5 to 10 minutes until the fillets are cooked through and the glaze is golden. Cooking times differ based on size of fillets and oven temperatures, so this time is just a guide.
5. Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter over medium-low heat in a non-stick frying pan and cook the shallot until it's tender before adding the beans to heat them through.
6. Finally, add the lemon zest and juice. Stir and season with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot with the grilled salmon fillet on top.