Cool, refreshing and a lovely ending to any meal, this boozy version of a traditional Sicilian treat features Parrot Bay Strawberry Spirit Drink (℅ Parrot Bay), which gives it a fruity strawberry flavor and a tiny little kick! Low-maintenance hardly describes how easy this is to make - it's so easy, it practically makes itself!
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of caster sugar
2 tablespoons Parrot Bay Strawberry Spirit Drink
Fresh strawberries for serving (optional)
1. Peel 2 of the lemons with a vegetable peeler and reserve the peels.
2. Juice the lemons.
3. Heat the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves completely. Stir in the zest while still on the heat and simmer away for another minute or two, then set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
4. Strain the liquid into a smallish metal bowl or other metal container and continue to cool for a few minutes more.
5. In another small bowl, mix the two tablespoons of Parrot Bay Strawberry Spirit Drink with the lemon juice using a wire whisk to stir gently.
6. Stir the juice mixture into the cooled, strained sugar mixture and place in the freezer.
7. Fork through the mixture as it freezes about every 1/2 hour until it becomes slushy. Then you can freeze it over night if you prefer.
8. When you are ready to serve, fork through the mixture a final time. If you have frozen it for several hours or more, you may need to set it out for about 20 minutes to soften first. Fork through it to get a slushy consistency and serve in small glasses, bowls or ramekins with a fresh strawberry on top if preferred.